What To Do To Prevent Lockouts
After a busy day, the last thing anyone wants to deal with is the inability to relax at home because they are locked out. It is difficult not to get exhausted with everything on our to-do lists, and so many things to get done. So when you get to your front door, you likely breathe a sigh of relief – until suddenly, you realize that you don’t have your house key! Maybe you left your key in a place that is easy for you to get to (like at the counter of a store you were just visiting), but for most people, this isn’t the case. Their key is often stuck inside of their office building which has already closed for the day. Or, they have no idea where it is, making them fearful for their safety, because now they know that someone that can’t be trusted has their key. What are you supposed to do to prevent this situation from happening? And what should you do if it does happen? The team at Maple Grove Master Locksmith has offered advice that is not just helpful to locals in Maple Grove, MN – it is useful to people everywhere. Have a look at the best ways to prevent lockouts from ever happening in the first place.
1. Have some sort of chant or mantra that you say when you are leaving your house or office every day. Don’t worry, you don’t even have to say it aloud – but repeat something like, “lock the door, grab the key” when you are leaving your property every day. Eventually, it will become second nature to check to make sure you have everything you need. Maybe when you leave the house you always check to make sure you have your wallet on you. Check to make sure your key is there!
2. Have a back-up copy of your key in either a place that you can remember but no one else knows about, or with your neighbor or someone you can trust. Having a duplicate copy will mean that if you ever do get locked out, you won’t stay locked out of the house for long. If you are able to turn to someone you can trust, you will be able to avoid having to call in a professional to get you back in.
3. Invest in a keyless entry system. This is one way to keep yourself from getting locked out, because you won’t be lugging an extra key around. Sure, one key doesn’t sound like much, but when you have one for your storage unit, mailbox, gym, office, etc., it adds up. It can become difficult to keep track of everything. This is where a master key system or keyless entry system would come in handy. With keyless entry, all you have to do is remember some sort of code. You can choose a set of numbers that are easy for you to remember, but nothing that someone else would be able to guess. One of the benefits to keyless entry is that when an incorrect code is entered too many times, many systems will alert authorities for you. This way, you will know if someone has been trying to get into your home or office. You otherwise might not have ever known.
4. Make sure that your car battery is not dead or draining. If you want to prevent a car lockout, one thing to check is your car key’s battery. When the battery dies, the problem is that the vehicle owner will lock the car using the locks on the inside. What could possibly go wrong? Well, a lockout could happen. It’s quite simple. You park the car in your driveway, and then hit lock on the inside of the car. You close the door. Then you walk towards your home’s front door and realize that your house key is locked inside of your vehicle, with your car keys. Oh no. This is something that happens far too often, because people don’t take the time to switch out dead batteries. You will know that your battery is draining when you have to press unlock multiple times to get it to work, or when your panic button fails to work unless you are just about standing on top of your vehicle. What use is this? Notice when your car key’s battery is draining, and have it replaced with a new battery as soon as possible. This is one surefire way to prevent a car lockout from happening.
5. Don’t rest your car keys on the car seat. This is a good way to prevent automotive lockouts from happening. You should have a pattern of keeping your key in your hand if it is not in the ignition cylinder of your vehicle. Make this a habit, especially if you are dealing with a dead car key battery. But as mentioned in the last step, replace dead batteries as quickly as possible.
These are just some ways to prevent car and building lockouts from happening in the first place. But if they ever do happen to you, try to stay calm, get to a safe place, especially if it is dark out, and call a locksmith in your local area, whether that is Maple Grove, Minnesota or anywhere else. Of course, you can first check to make sure that no windows were left unlock, because that might provide you with safe entry. But call a professional, or call a neighbor or friend who has a spare copy of your key. The best thing to do is to stop lockouts from happening in the first place, but if they do ever happen to you, make sure to take a deep breath and call in a professional to avoid property damage. Hopefully you have found these tips to be helpful, and hopefully you will never have to deal with a lockout.